Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Greetings (and good eating)

Last night, after listening to a classmate give a presentation on sustainable eating and just after taking a bite of not-so-tender roast from the crockpot, it occurred to me to cut down on meat consumption next year. I told Melissa about the idea, and that I was not necessarily thinking we would eat less meals with meat, but when we do, we should eat a bit less (and higher quality).

She replied that she would be inclined to eat more vegetarian dishes, as long as they didn’t get too boring or complicated. She mentioned a vegetarian cookbook we have. However, the cookbook does tend toward those that are more complicated and lengthy, which during the week is a bit hard to reasonably prepare.

It occurred to me today to start a conversation with others who have a thoughtful relationship with food, whether they are vegetarians, vegans, or omnivores. My impetus for this project of writing and conversation is my recent reading of an article in the New York Times article, As More Eat Meat, a Bid to Cut Emissions.

I love meat, but I am well aware of the unsustainable practices of producing much of it. After reading Michael Pollan’s wonderful and personally eye-opening book, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, I changed at least part of our family’s diet by buying free range hamburger and steak from our local co-op. (Everyone who has tasted the burgers that I’ve served have loved the taste.)

So, with that, I would like to invite those of you who would like to participate in this conversation to write me so I can add you as an author to this blog. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Joe Erjavec

No comments: